Everybody likes a good home cooked meal after a long day at work or home. Most recipes that are available on the internet and even cookbooks these days are simple keeping in mind the time constraint that most people have today. The recipes on this page have been written keeping the time barrier in mind while also providing nutritious and tasty food. So read on for recipes that tell you how to cook a sweet potato.
Delicious Candied Sweet Potato Recipe
- Sweet Potatoes (quartered) - 4 pounds
- Miniature Marshmallows - 3 cups
- Margarine - 1 ¼ cups
- Brown Sugar - 1 ¼ cups
- Cinnamon (ground/according to taste)
- Nutmeg (ground/according to taste)
- To make candied sweet potatoes first preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then take a 9*13 inch baking dish and grease it.
- Now take a large pot of water and put it to boil. Add the potatoes in it and let them boil till they are slightly underdone. Once it is ready take out the potatoes and let them cool. Peel after they are cold.
- Next take a large saucepan and put some margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 2 cups of marshmallows into it. Heat the ingredients over a medium flame.
- Into this mixture stir in the potatoes carefully breaking some of the potatoes and gently mashing the rest. Now put this mixture into a prepared dish. Put the dish into the oven and cook for about 15 minutes. After the given time remove from the oven and cover the top with the remaining marshmallows. Put the dish back into the oven and bake until they turn a nice golden brown in color.
Yummy Sweet Potato Recipe
- Sweet Potatoes - 5
- Brown Sugar - ½ cup
- Cream - ½ cup
- Unsalted Butter - ¼ cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Eggs - 3
- Mini Marshmallows - ½ bag
- To learn how to cook sweet potatoes first bake the potatoes and then scoop and mash them.
- Once that is done beat the potatoes along with the rest of the ingredients leaving out the marshmallows.
- Now take a casserole dish and into it spoon the ingredients and then bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. When it is done add the marshmallows and bake again until the marshmallows melt and turn a golden brown.
Scrumptious Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe
- Butter - 1 tsp (a little more for the soufflé dish)
- Sugar (for the soufflé dish)
- Maple Syrup - ¼ cup
- Nutmeg (ground) - ½ tsp
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- All purpose Flour - 2 tbsp
- Whole Milk - ½ cup
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes - 1 cup
- Eggs - 3
- To start preheat the oven to a temperature of 375 degrees. Now take a souffle dish and butter it and then dust with sugar.
- Next take a medium saucepan and heat some butter in it. Now add the flour and cook until it turns golden brown. Once it is done slowly whisk in the milk and simmer until it turns thick. Next remove it from the heat and mix in the sweet potatoes and egg yolks. Also stir in the maple syrup, nutmeg and then set it aside.
- Once you have completed all the above steps use and electric mixer to beat the eggs whites with a pinch of salt until it forms stiff peaks.
- Now whisk ¼ of the egg whites into the mixture of sweet potatoes and then gently fold in the remaining of the egg whites. Take the mixture and pour it into a prepared dish and bake until it is puffed. This should take about 35 to 45 minutes. Serve this dish immediately with whipped cream.
Simple Mashed Sweet Potato Recipe
- Sweet Potatoes - 2 (peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces)
- Half and half - ½ cup
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- Light - brown Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Pepper (ground)
- To make mashed sweet potatoes set a steamer in a large saucepan. In it fill just enough water that it comes a little below the basket. Once you have done that bring to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer.
- Next put the sweet potatoes in the steamer basket and cover it. Let the sweet potatoes steam until they turn tender. Now drain and then return to saucepan.
- While that is being done take a small saucepan and in it put the butter, half and half, brown sugar and let it simmer. Remember to stir the ingredients in order to combine them well. When it is ready take the mixture and add it to the drained sweet potatoes and mash until it turns smooth. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Tips for Cooking Sweet Potatoes
- If you want to enhance the flavor of sweet potatoes bake them and then scoop out the flesh instead of peeling and then boiling them.
- If you plan to microwave sweet potatoes then first clean and pierce with a fork before placing in the microwave.
- Avoid eating the peel of the sweet potato unless it is organic. Sweet potatoes that are conventionally grown carry toxins and chemicals from pesticides and chemical fertilizers.
- While selecting sweet potatoes pick that ones that are plump, smooth, clean.
- Remember not to keep raw sweet potatoes in the refrigerator.