Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
Watching fruit flies swarming around the fruit and vegetable basket can be a displeasing sight. These pesky creatures thrive on ripe and rotten food. This article will provide you with some home remedies for getting rid of fruit flies.
Fruit flies can be pesky creatures that are frequently attracted to ripened fruits, sweet drinks and vegetables. Getting rid of fruit flies can be problematic as they also get attracted to garbage. Not only does it result in unhygienic conditions but the fruits and vegetables are also spoiled because of these fruit flies. Thie fruit flies not only eat the food items but they also lay their eggs in the food items. A big problem that most people find difficult to resolve is how to get rid of fruit flies" With some precaution and timely intervention it is possible to eliminate fruit flies and resolve this problem. Home Remedies for Fruit Flies
- The first thing that needs to be done to get rid of fruit flies is to remove the fruits, vegetables and the other sources of attraction. All these fruits, vegetables, garbage, rags and spillage should be removed. The drainage area in the kitchen also attracts these fruit flies often and so this should be kept clean.
- After you keep away all sources that attract fruit flies you can take a few baby food jars and fill them with some apple cider vinegar. Put the lids on the jars and puncture the lids with small holes. The apple smell will attract fruit flies and to access the contents they will climb into the jars through the holes and drown in the liquid. You can then throw away the contents.
- Another effective fruit fly trap includes putting some apple cider vinegar in a bowl and adding a little bit of liquid soap to it. The flavor of apple cider vinegar attracts the fruit flies and because of the soap in the liquid they find it difficult to get out and die.
- If you are facing problems of fruit flies in your kitchen sink then one of the simplest ways to get rid of fruit flies includes using a mixture of household ammonia or chlorine bleach and water. In this method you can mix 1/8 cup of household ammonia or chlorine bleach with around one gallon of tap water. This mixture should be poured in the sink drain and it should be allowed to remain undisturbed. The bleach will aid in removing food particles and all smells that attract the fruit flies.
- Basil can also help in controlling fruit flies. A dish with some basil should be kept next to the fruit bowl or some basil can also be sprinkled on the fruit. Basil acts as a deterrent to fruit flies.
- Another fruit fly trap that can be used includes putting a piece of ripe banana or other fruit in a jar and closing it will a lid. The lid should then be punctured with small holes. The fruit flies will be able to get in but will not be able to get out.
- Other home remedies that can be effective in controlling fruit flies include applying Vick’s Vaporub on the door frames and other places where they are seen. The smell of Vick’s Vaporub acts as a deterrent.
- Alcohol can also be used and sprayed to kill fruit flies as it is claimed that alcohol acts as an insecticide. However this should be used with precaution since studies indicate that fruit flies are capable of living on alcohol also. Their bodies are capable of deploying special chemicals that convert alcohol into nourishment.