Negative Effects of Television
Are you in the habit of relaxing by watching television? However television is replete with programs involving objectionable content and violence. Read on to learn about the bad and negative effects of television on children and elders alike.
Watching television is one of the ways many people choose to unwind after a hard day’s work. While television is a major source of entertainment the content depicted including violence and adult content in television can have negative effects on the viewers. Many children end up watching television even before they start school and so television has a huge impact on their impressionable minds. Even infants and toddlers watch around 2 hours of television per day. For kids under the age of 6 the time spent in front of the television is also around 2 hours while kids and teens tend to spend as much as 4 hours in front of the television besides spending some time at the computer.
Television can be used to impart education where children learn the alphabet but as they grow older they tend to spend far too much time and this in turn interferes with their normal activities such as playing with friends, reading and doing homework.
Bad Effects of Television
- The violence depicted on television has a desensitization effect on the children. On an average American children witness around 200000 acts of violence in television by the time they turn 18. This makes them less sensitive and increases their aggressiveness since this television violence is often portrayed to be fun and acceptable. E.g.: A child may think it is perfectly alright for a man to hit another person because his favorite character did that.
- Television also portrays certain topics rather brazenly when in fact these issues need to be dealt with care and sensitivity. Sex, substance abuse and other important issues are not handled and depicted with a great deal of maturity on television and this in turn can end up giving out the wrong message. E.g: A program objectifying women and portraying them as sex objects may end up giving the wrong message to youngsters.
- Advertisements such as those promoting alcohol and cigarettes have resulted in a large number of youngsters indulging in their consumption.
- One of the biggest ill effects of television is that it has contributed to increasing obesity among people. While watching television people tend to consume large amounts of unhealthy food items such as chips and soft drinks. Television is only promoting the sedentary lifestyle that people follow and this in turn has contributed to obesity.
- Commercials on television are directed towards marketing toys and other items for the kids and these are responsible to a certain extent to the wrong habits and wrong choices that children tend to make.
- Some research studies indicate that television is responsible for hampering the development of some areas of the brain that are in control of moral judgment and also attention. That is why many studies also seek to link the relationship between attention and comprehension problems and television.
- Television may also affect relationships between families since it may not allow family members to spend quality time with each other. It may also stop people from following other good habits like reading books and socializing.