Performing magic involves use of supernatural powers to getting things done. The procedure of magic usually involves use of chants and spells, gestures or actions designated towards an object or situation.
Magic has its roots very deep in the past and it has been there at every stage of human evolution. Let us dive deep into knowing the different types of magic.
Basic Types of Magic
There are three basic types of magic distinguished by anthropologists:
Homeopathic Magic is based on the assumption that like produces like. It means that if some form of action is performed on something, it will have a same impact on the intended real thing.
Sympathetic Magic or Imitative Magic
Sympathetic Magic on the core principle that if it is performed on some object(s), the same would happen to the person or object which is under influence. The relation is made between the objects based on the presumption that one can influence something based on the attachment.
Contagious magic supports the notion that if a person has contact with certain things, they will influence the person who is under contact with those things. The most common example of this type of magic can be seen in use of voodoo dolls. Voodoo dolls are attached with a part of fingernails, hair or teeth of the targeted person. The voodoo doll, then is assumed to be the person himself and it can be used of to hurt the victim. This type of magic falls under black magic, since it is practiced to cause harm or injury to others.
There are a few more terms related to magic which themselves can be considered as types of magic. Here are some:
- Divination: Seeing or predicting things under divine influence and intervention.
- Occult: Occult means beyond ordinary understand and which is difficult and hidden to see. Chaldean, in the occult philosophy is referred to the person skilled in occult learning.
- Thaumaturgy: Thaumaturgy is a term which denotes the art of magic which invokes supernatural powers
- ESP: ESP is the power to perceive things which are not present to the senses
- Theurgy: Theurgy is a part of white magic performed with the help of spirits. It is basically performed by Neoplatonists to bring in supernatural or divine intervention in human affairs.
- Voodooism: Voodooism is a religious cult which involves use of voodoo dolls, witchcraft and animistic deities for inflicting effects on selected targets.
- Ceremonial or Ritual
This depends on religion to religion and is generally performed for both positive and negative purposes. This involves but isn't limited to removal of spirit possession, prosperity, injury to some party or parties, better next life form, etc.
- Tantra: Tantra was introduced by Hindu and Buddhist religions. Tantra involves use of elements such as mantras and mudras (spells) from Vedas (sacred texts) recited for getting things done magically.
- Alchemy: More than magic, alchemy was considered to be a science, very rare people new during medieval times. Alchemy was supposedly performed by alchemists who had the ability to turn ordinary metals into gold.
- Necromancy: Necromancy involves conjuring up the dead for prophesying or delivering a sermon. Necromancy is performed along with use of evil spirits to produce supernatural effects in the world.
- Gnosis: Gnosis is understanding and possession of intuitive knowledge of spiritual truths.